Pages

Wishlist | Hormonal Acne Over-the-Counter Treatments

I'm back to blogging! I'm going to be increasing my posting schedule to two days a week (sometimes 3 if I have time).  My new posting schedule is probably going to be something around the following: Wednesday (random skincare / deal post depending on if I have time), Friday Fashion (I've wanted to do more fashion and sample sale related posts), Sunday Skincare.

So without further ado, here is this week's random post!

This a story familiar to people who have suffered from hormonal acne for a long time or have a lot of stress in their lives that causes them to them break out. As a stressed out person with PCOS (for those of you who haven't heard of the condition, it causes you to have a hormonal imbalance which causes acne), I feel like I've tried everything on the market. I'm not sure why they don't put out stronger medical grade products out on the market, but there's no real judgment here because I'm not a scientist nor can I make scientific recommendations!

I've been looking to test out a variety of over-the-counter treatments for hormonal breakouts. Obviously, if you can afford to see a dermatologist on the regular, that is the best solution. But a good doctor is hard to come by in NYC... Anyways, I've come across a couple of products that I'm looking into trying and reviewing for the blog:

Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion - Price: $19 for 1 oz. This product is formulated with nourishing B vitamins and amino acids. You can also use this before putting on makeup, so I am curious to see how this interacts with Korean BB creams. I have also read a few reviews that this is even better than the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, which is very similar to the Kate Somerville Eradikate Spot Treatment that I've reviewed in the past. However, I've seen reviews that say this is incredibly drying, which means it may not be the best for those with dry skin.




Renee Rouleau Rapid Response Detox Masque - Price: $61 for 1.7 oz. Not going to lie, the price freaks me out especially given how little you get and the fact that it is a gel product (always seem to run out of that type of product very quickly - you will hear more about this on Sunday when I review CosRX's Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser). However, this product seems interesting because the description says "When used at the first signs of breakouts or a few days before your monthly cycle, this groundbreaking anti-inflammatory gel face masque for acne will effectively disrupt the visible blemish cycle to encourage smoother skin with fewer noticeable bumps." Overall, I'm pretty skeptical about how well it is going to work - my skin gets incredibly oily before my period and stays that way for about a week...I'm not sure how a one-off mask will help. Also, I had a look at the ingredients - tea tree, salicylic acid, manuka among other ingredients - that doesn't wow me too much either especially given the high price.

Renee Rouleau Anti-Cyst Treatment - Price: $41 of 0.5 oz. I'm really intrigued by this formula because it is lactic acid–based. For those of you who are unfamiliar with lactic acid, it is an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that can reduce wrinkles and acne and does so by exfoliating the skin. I've used lactic acid products by Makeup Artist's Choice and have loved those because it makes your face feel so rejuvenated (review to come, please use lactic acid products and any other type of acid with extreme caution!). Again, like the Rapid Response Detox Masque it's pricey...more so than what I could get at Makeup Artist's Choice...




Have any of you tried any of these products? What were your thoughts? Thanks for reading and let me know in the comments below!

No comments :

Post a Comment