Pages

Review | Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water ** Updated **

I have been wanting to try micellar water for the longest time. I'm not sure why I didn't take the plunge, but after many mornings of not washing my face so I could rush to class, I decided to bite the bullet. Micells are tiny balls of cleansing oil molecules suspended in soft water that are attracted to dirt and oil. The "technology" originated in France.  

There are three different varieties of the Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water for sale in the United States - I believe there is another version that is combined with more oil available in the United Kingdom in a yellow bottle, but I haven't seen that one in America just yet.

  • The pink bottle (this is the one I will be reviewing) is for all skin types (sensitive included) but DOES NOT remove waterproof makeup


  • The blue bottles is also for all skin types (sensitive included) however it DOES remove waterproof make-up
  • The green bottle is for oily skin


Packaging: Flip top 400 ml or ~ 13.5 ounces

Pricing / Purchasing:
  • Here Target.com for $7 - of course, you can always buy this in stores Target  
  • Here on Amazon.com $7 but will go down to about $6 with a $1 off "click to apply" coupon, this link also links to the blue and green versions
  • Here on Ulta.com for $9. Ulta also has a small 3 ounce version which is great for travel and if you want to sample it before making a commitment
  • CVS also sells this product in stores, it costs approximately $9-$11 

Color / Consistency: Clear and thin

Scent: Smells odd, it sort of smells like acrylic paint

Usage Tip(s): 
  • You might want to use this two times or even more to really feel as if your face is clean. In the pictures below, the left-hand cotton round is my first pass at using the cleansing water (this is approximately 12+ hours of not washing my face). You can visibly see dirt being removed! The right-hand cotton round is the second pass immediately after my first go, which has less dirt. 
Gross but informative....


Pros: 
  • Great for traveling or camping when you do not have access to a sink
  • Face feels softer after use
  • Can remove make-up, although not waterproof makeup like waterproof mascara
  • Good even for dry skin, so good for use even in the winter
  • Good value for money - you do not need to use a ton of product each time


Cons: 
  • Odd smell
  • Hard to tell how clean your face really is - one thing is for sure, it doesn't get your face as clean as a foam cleanser
  • Stings immediately after use (this can be a pro / con, generally I like a little stinging!) but goes away 10-15 minutes later - it's similar to the feeling you get when you use an astringent toner with alcohol in it, except the sensation lasts longer
Update 5/25/2017: I also saw that there are wipe versions of this product. However, it seems more cost effective to just purchase the water itself since each of these packs cost $7 for 25 sheets... Click on the picture to purchase.

Overall rating: 4.0 / 5.0

Good product so far and I think every person should keep this in their beauty kit because there are always going to be those days when you can't wash your face the way you want to. I want to do more testing in terms of: using micellar water in conjunction double cleansing and with various toners. I am also curious if there is a difference between drugstore and more expensive micellar waters such as the Bioderma's Sensbio H2O Micellar Water which you can purchase here for $17 (my hypothesis is probably not...). Also if you are someone who wears makeup on the regular it makes no sense to purchase the kind that doesn't remove makeup!

Also, I have added a newsletter sign-up to my blog! I typically post on Sundays with the occasional mid-week post, so being on the mailer will let you know when I've posted a new blog entry. Head on over to the "Follow by Email" widget on the right-hand side of the blog under my profile picture to enter your email address. Thanks for reading and visiting the site!

No comments :

Post a Comment